Thursday, November 20, 2014

Go Read and Learn More!

The last seed order arrived! This time I received 2 extra packets for free - Dwarf long bean and Arugula (v. Dentellata). This batch will have to wait as I lack of space, just the aster seeds are germinated for ornamental purpose. Only the hydrangea and Portulaca/Purslane are blooming at my balcony! Those darn Plumerias are doing nothing but attract white flies!

The seedlings are growing pretty well especially the tomato seedlings - I can see a couple of them growing true leaves already. 

Anyway, I would like to share a fantastic discovery. Little did I know, I've been growing a super green at my balcony - Purslane! I used to think it was called Portulaca but I was corrected today - this round-tipped leaf plant that I've known since young is actually Purslane and it is a type of herb. Well, actually BF's dad did tell me it as edible but I didn't really believe him (OMG LOL). I just knew the flowers were colourful and cute. 

What this David of a plant has is everything you can dream of: low in calorie, has a lot of omega-3, wide spectrum of vitamins (A, B complex, C,) and dietary minerals plus antioxidants. Wiki will explain you more about the goodness of this under-rated plant. You can pretty much eat everything (except the roots), raw or cooked.  
So, what I have to do now is to stop feeding it with Miracle-Gro Plant Food. Well thanks to Miracle-Gro, it's quite fat right now to be honest but I aim for organic gardening. I learned that you gotta do it organically for 5 years before you can call it organic so heck. 5 years. I will be hanging it as it's sprawling all over the floor. Coco likes to pee near it. :/

No comments:

Post a Comment