Wednesday, February 19, 2014

DIY Self-Watering

Going away from home for a while? Can't find anyone to water your plants? Well, well. This is one of my worries when I first got my plants.  
Initially I thought of investing in a self-watering pot from Ikea but gardening doesn't have to be an expensive hobby so I'm opting for DIYs. Another quick search on the internet will show you a myriad of ways to DIY self-water. 
The best (when I say best, I mean easiest) option I found is using recycled mineral bottles. All you have to do is just make some small holes on the cap, fill the bottle with water, close it back and stick it to the ground upside down and physics will do the rest of the work.


Another option is to use the narrow-necked bottle e.g. wine bottle, fill it with water and stick it upside down with the neck at least several inches underground. I guess this one is a bit tricky if you have a very good draining soil. The water will just seep through in no time!

Photo credit: The Garden Glove

I will definitely try the mineral water bottle option for the water baby hydrangeas. 

On a side note, after consulting with experienced gardeners online about my unhealthy-looking acclimatized hydrangea, I found out putting fertilizer is a bad idea and I decided to repot it to a bigger pot. I also made some homemade pesticide (dried chili + garlic + onion concoction I found on YouTube) and sprayed it thoroughly, including the underside of the leaves, to get rid of any creepy crawlies. Hope that will help.



No comments:

Post a Comment